Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!


My Mom's birthday fell on Mother's Day this year, so she received 2 cards! (that's how special my Mom is). For this card, I used the ribbon weaving technique shown by kwernerdesign. I chose Purely Pomegranate 15/16th" satin ribbon (now retired...*sniff*) for the weaving. The card base is Chocolate Chip cardstock with a layer of another sadly retired designer series double sided paper called "Brocade Background". In this case, a sheet of Prints Designer Series paper in River Rock would also work beautifully.



I used two flowers from SU's Pretties kit and dyed them with my Purely Pomegranate and River Rock classic ink pads. To do this, I pressed the fabric flowers directly onto the ink pads using the back of a spoon. (My Purely Pomegranate pad was a bit dry for this technique, so I had to pause to re-ink it). After dying my flowers, I removed excess ink by pressing it between paper towel a few times until I was satisfied that most of it was blotted out.

Lastly, I used an Aged Brass Jumbo eyelet in the centre of my flowers with a clear rhinestone brad (from the Pretties kit) to finish it off. Then entire flower assembly was adhered with mini gluedots to the ribbons. If I had thought ahead, I would have tried attaching the flower to the ribbon-covered cardstock with the eyelet instead of using gluedots, but I had already attached my ribbon weaving accent with stampin' dimensionals.

I'm pretty confident my Mom really liked this card since she gasped when she opened it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I'm so glad your mom loved it too! lol.