Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mother's Day Shadow Box Cards

Here are the shadow box cards I made for my moms for Mother's Day. I used a tutorial from The Sunset House blog. I chose Pacific Point and Certainly Celery for my colour pallet with a splash of So Saffron.

The one card uses a Cuttlebug embossing folder to make the diamond embossed background. I made the cutout circles with my Spellbinder Nestibilities (you could also use the Coluzzle cutter or the Circle Scissor Plus cutter). The flowers inside the box are coloured using a blender pen and some pacific point ink.

The second card has some 3D butterflies which were stamped on Vellum (cardstock weight) with Black Stazon ink and carefully cut out. Then I coloured around the edges with a blender pen and some Pacific Point ink, folded the wings up and glued the body of the butterfly to the paper (lining it up with a prestamped image on the card base).

The butterfly stamp is from the "Dreams Du Jour" stamp set; the flourish is from "Baroque Motifs"; the sentiment is from a retired set from a few years ago; flowers from the Pretties Kit; brads are Old Olive and So Saffron; I used the ticket corner punch to finish the edges; paper piercing was guided with the Mat Pack.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Saffron Toile

This is a 3x6 card in So Saffron stamped with the Bella Toile background in So Saffron ink. I used a similar layout to a previous card I posted, but switched up the colours and the ribbon for a more casual look. The textured paper is Basic Grey while the flower is cut from Regal Rose cardstock with my daisy #2 sizzix die in my Big Shot. The stripey paper is from the Urban Garden Designer Series paper. The sentiment is from the "Fresh Cuts" stamp set.

The ribbon is So Saffron grosgrain, which unfortunately is no longer available as it was a Sale-a-bration promotion item. I used the Aged Copper Jumbo eyelet for the flower center.

To put it all together, I simply used my cropadial to punch a 3/16" hole in the paper layers. I also used the cropadial to set the eyelet onto the center of the flower. The ribbon was threaded through the hole from the back and through the eyelet, while the other end came around to the front of the card and went under the flower and up through the eyelet where I tied the ends together in a single knot.

Let me know if that's too confusing and I'll happily show you in person (if possible) or I can photograph the steps to put on my blog.

Thanks for visiting me today :)

Please leave a comment and have your name entered for the blog candy draw on July 15th.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Baby Shower Invitations

A friend asked me to make some invitations for a baby shower. She gave me the Bible verse that she wanted on the front of the card and said she was going for a star theme. Since I didn't have a stamp with this verse, I had to use my computer and format it.

The formatting took quite a bit of time as I wanted the verse to continue on over and over even when it was in black ink as the focal point. I'm fussy with formatting. I'll spare you the details on how I got it to print just as it did, but there was probably a way to do it more quickly with less fuss if I had greater technical know-how or a more advanced software program to work with.

The stars are from a retired hostess set "Love It" and are (I realized) the only star stamps I own! I used Pink Pirouette and Whisper White cardstock (thank you to Gwen and Seana for rescuing me when I discovered I didn't have enough!). The ribbon is Whisper White Tafetta and Pretty in Pink Tafetta. I did the scalloped edges with the scallop edge punch. The small stars on the front are stamped in Versamark and clear embossed. The large star was first inked with versamark, then in pretty in pink so that it could also be embossed with clear embossing powder over the coloured ink. The Versamark ink keeps it from drying too fast for it to work with embossing.

The inside of the card was also done on my computer, but on decent quality computer paper rather than cardstock. The star is stamped in Pink Pirouette. The paper is adhered with SNAIL adhesive on the inside front of the card only.