Here's the details...
Friday, May 30, 2008
Here's the details...
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
I really like this colour combo - bright and cheery. On this 5x5 card, I used Old Olive, Apricot Appeal, Pumpkin Pie, and Bashful Blue cardstock. The background is stamped with the "Stems and Silhoettes" stampin around jumbo wheel in Old Olive ink. The girl (stamped in old olive) and sentiment are from the "She's All That" set in the current mini catalogue. I used my ticket corner punch on the bashful blue cardstock and made the pumpkin pie scalloped edge using my 1/2" circle punch and tucking the circles just under the edge of the apricot appeal cardstock. The ovals are punched using the large and small oval stampin' up punches. I also used stampin' dimensionals behind the matted girl and again to raise up the ovals with the "make a wish" stamped on them. Finally, I used my striped Pumpkin Pie grosgrain ribbon to accent the card.
All and all, I think I like it (she says, with a sideways glance)
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
I'm happy with how it turned out in the end. I hope Daniel and Tammi like it, too.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
My Mom's birthday fell on Mother's Day this year, so she received 2 cards! (that's how special my Mom is). For this card, I used the ribbon weaving technique shown by kwernerdesign. I chose Purely Pomegranate 15/16th" satin ribbon (now retired...*sniff*) for the weaving. The card base is Chocolate Chip cardstock with a layer of another sadly retired designer series double sided paper called "Brocade Background". In this case, a sheet of Prints Designer Series paper in River Rock would also work beautifully.
I used two flowers from SU's Pretties kit and dyed them with my Purely Pomegranate and River Rock classic ink pads. To do this, I pressed the fabric flowers directly onto the ink pads using the back of a spoon. (My Purely Pomegranate pad was a bit dry for this technique, so I had to pause to re-ink it). After dying my flowers, I removed excess ink by pressing it between paper towel a few times until I was satisfied that most of it was blotted out.
Lastly, I used an Aged Brass Jumbo eyelet in the centre of my flowers with a clear rhinestone brad (from the Pretties kit) to finish it off. Then entire flower assembly was adhered with mini gluedots to the ribbons. If I had thought ahead, I would have tried attaching the flower to the ribbon-covered cardstock with the eyelet instead of using gluedots, but I had already attached my ribbon weaving accent with stampin' dimensionals.
I'm pretty confident my Mom really liked this card since she gasped when she opened it!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
My Mother-in-law likes green, so I did the same card, only used Old Olive instead of the blue and I used the Old Olive Poytwill ribbon.
The one thing that makes these cards really fun (and is actually the reason I used the stamp that I did) is the Card Scent!! I brushed on "Espresso" scent over the edge of the matting and the coffee area of the cup. At first, I thought maybe I put on too much, but by the time my moms got there cards, the scent had become much more subtle and I think I could have actually used more scent. I'll have to experiment with it more.
Friday, May 9, 2008
This is a baby card I made for my Uncle's little boy. I still love SU Classy Copper embossing powder and continue to lament it's retirement. That also goes for the Copper metal edged tags. Cardstock: Close to Cocoa, Brocade Blue (I think); Chocolate Chip 1/4" grosgrain ribbon; I did some peekaboo holes with tht 3/4" circle punch and matched the stamped images through the holes; I can't remember what the stamp set was called, but I believe it was a hostess set.
As a demonstrator, I'm always trying to come up with simple and quick cards to do for workshops in peoples homes. This card was one of my first simple cards that I actually liked. If I were to do it again, I know I would be forced to add to it and it wouldn't be as simple, but I still really like the basic elements, the colors, and the layout of this card. (I would definitely add a wider ribbon to start with). You can't really see it in this photo, but I used a direct ink to paper technique to make a suede-like look on the base card simply by sliding the ink pad over the paper maintaining a horizontal directing with each pass. Simple, but effective. This retired stamp set is "Lexicon of Love".
This last card I wanted to show you was done for a workshop as well. The card base is a retired little gift card (you can get them in other colors still) that, when closed, a tab slides in a slot. I used the retired set "Love Matters". The background is stamped with the much loved "Canvas" background stamp in Tempting Turquoise; the words stamped with Regal Rose ink. I used Tempting Turquoise, Regal Rose, and Very Vanilla paper. The image is colored with SU markers.
So, there's a few to fill the void until my camera USB cord is found. Even then, I haven't been doing a whole lot. I keep hoping that will change, but life is kind of getting in the way between being fatigued with pregnancy and all of the household duties (which now include the dreaded yardwork -- normally I like working in the soil, but we have sooooo many weeds)