Friday, January 4, 2008

Photo on Canvas

I still don't have any new projects to put up for you, but I thought I could show you a project that I will be doing in an upcoming class.

This is an 8x10 canvas that I finished in a class at a scrapbook store in Abbotsford with my friend Melanie. It was fun to do and I really liked the result. The background is painted with acrylic paints. The word "cherish" is done in painted chipboard letters. A stencil was used to help make the reversed image that we embossed with a clear, thick, embossing powder. If you look a little closer, you'll see that a bit of paint was also used on the edges of the photo.


The canvas project for my class will look quite different from this one, but I will be using some of the techniques (embossing, matting the photo, acrylic paint for the background). Once I come up with a finished product to show you, I'll definitely put it up on my blog.

By the way, those are my kids in the photo. The picture was taken in the fall of 2006 by a wonderful friend (Thank you again, Lindsay). Isaac will be 4 in March and Serena will be 2 in February.

I have a little tip for you that I learned after doing this canvas project. Many of us often print our photos ourselves with our home printers and photo paper. One thing I have discovered is that if any moisture gets on your picture, the colour on the photo will run/smudge, so you have to put your photo in a frame or a page protected scrapbook. I wanted to protect future projects like this from any moisture, so...I tried clear embossing the entire photo surface - it worked! And it added a cool look to the photo without compromising the colours and clarity of the image. You just need to be careful not to overheat the photo paper as it will melt. Of course, you still will want to protect projects like this from moisture (don't display it in the bathroom) as well as direct sunlight as it might cause fading.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine are in the hallway with no windows! I think of you when I look at mine and think of the fun we had! I wish I lived closer to be apart of your fun class!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo and fantastic altered canvas!